Judi A. Hughes, M.Ed. School Psychologist/Educational Consultant
I am a Licensed School Psychologist and Educational Consultant in Cincinnati, Ohio. I work with students in preschool through post graduate college, who are experiencing difficulties in learning and/or demonstrating poor school performance.
I earned a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and a Master of Education and Specialist's Degree in School Psychology from the University of Cincinnati . I hold a current license from the State of Ohio Board of Psychology and a current certificate of licensure from the Ohio Department of Education. I am currently the only practitioner in the Cincinnati area who holds this dual licensure from both the State Board of Psychology and the Ohio Board of Education.
As a school psychologist, I have unique expertise in both psychology and education; I have an understanding of psychopathology, information processing, cognition and learning as well as child development, and educational foundations. I have comprehensive knowledge of both language based and nonverbal learning disabilities.
Prior to beginning my private practice in 1991, I was the Director of Psychological Services for the Boone County Schools in Florence, Kentucky and I served as a School Psychologist in several private and parochial schools in the greater Cincinnati area.
20 years ago, I began my private practice in association with other educational consultants, social workers, clinical psychologists and psychiatrists at The Hollister Center in Mount Auburn. In June, 2007, I relocated my office to the Kenwood/Montgomery area. In addition to my private practice work I maintain a part time involvement with a local public school district.
- I provide assessment, diagnosis and intervention assistance for struggling learners in Cincinnati who may have learning disabilities including dyslexia or dysgraphia, ADHD or executive functioning challenges.
- I am knowledgeable about the laws governing special education service provision and the Ohio Guidelines for determining students with disabilities. I often work with families to navigate the school-based evaluation process and to advocate for students to receive comprehensive evaluations as well as appropriate intervention, accommodations and special education programming.
- I evaluate students to understand their educational strengths and challenges, to identify their unique learning style and to diagnose specific educational disabilities. Evaluation results help to determine best fit educational environments, and best fit teaching strategies/study strategies.
- I consult with families about area school options and work collaboratively with other educational and medical professionals to aid treatment of the total student.
- I provide direct student coaching to improve organization, and study strategies with particular expertise in aiding college transition and working directly with students attending Cincinnati area colleges.
- National Association of School Psychologists
-American Psychological Association
- Orton Dyslexia Society
,- Council for Exceptional Children
- CHADD- Children and Adults with ADD
I work with students and families to:
- Diagnose and treat learning disabilities and a variety of psychoeducational disorders interfering with learning and performance in school
- Provide consultation to schools and assist in developing educational and behavioral intervention plans for students in preschool through college.
- Provide counseling, instruction, and mentoring for those struggling with social, emotional, and behavioral problems impacting school success
- Increase achievement by assessing barriers to learning and determining the best instructional strategies to improve learning
- Promote wellness and resilience by reinforcing communication and social skills, problem solving, self-control, self-regulation, self-determination, and optimism
- Provide coaching to set goals, and develop/use strategies to attain them
- Identify and address learning and behavior problems that interfere with school success
- Evaluate eligibility for special education services
- Suggest parenting and behavior management strategies
- Suggest methods to enhance home–school collaboration
I work with teachers and schools to:
- Identify and resolve academic barriers to learning
- Design and implement academic and behavioral interventions
- Develop effective individualized instruction
- Create positive classroom environments